It’s time for another edition of Escaping the Dungeon. If you’re working at one of the Big 4 or another public accounting firm, chained to your desk for 60 to 80 hours a week, performing menial tasks for clients you’ve never met and never will meet—these jobs are for you.
Through our partners at Accountingfly, we’re dedicated to helping you escape the dungeon. Accountingfly connects outstanding talent to the most innovative firms in the world, so check out the jobs below and more at Accountingfly. Don’t see a job you like? Chat with the recruiters at Accountingfly.com and we’ll introduce you to your ideal firm.
Top remote jobs:
Remote Tax Manager
Murray Stok CPAs
Murray, Stok & Company was founded in 1991 offering services to clients in three main areas: tax planning and preparation, accounting and bookkeeping services, and management consulting services. At Murray, Stok & Company, we take care to balance the needs of clients with the needs of our employees. As a result, we have built a robust tax firm that is also a pleasant place to work.
- Candidates should possess strong communication and analytical skills. The employee is expected to stay up-to-date with industry and governmental regulations and also possess strong technology skills, including expertise with Microsoft Excel, database applications, and enterprise resource planning systems.
- Knowledge and experience with CCH ProSystem fx Tax and other CCH products a plus.
- Candidates should have at least five years of tax accounting or public accounting experience. A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required, and candidates must be a licensed CPA.
Remote U.S. Expat Tax Accountant (CPA or EA)
Greenback Expat Tax Services
Greenback Expat Tax Services is a company that specializes in preparing tax returns for Americans living overseas. We are a highly energetic, positive, resourceful team working virtually across the globe. We believe that executional excellence is key to success.
This is not a traditional JOB—it’s more like a business partnership—and is ideally suited for those folks who love the idea of their earning potential being tied to their individual accomplishments, are obsessively organized, and have a natural flair for customer care.
- CPAs or EAs with three to five years of experience preparing U.S. expat tax returns, including specific experience with the additional forms and schedules required for expats (1116, 2555, FinCEN 114, 5471, 3520, etc.).
- People who are comfortable managing their own schedule and workload. There are no set hours—you get paid for the work you do and your results. You take on as many customers as you choose (we pre-agree annual targets).
- People who see technology as an enabler and embrace it fully. We use state-of-the-art systems (Salesforce, Box, ProSeries, and Lacerte).
Remote Payroll Accountant
HPC CPA is trailblazing the way forward in cloud accounting and advisory services. As early adopters of Xero cloud accounting, our experience sets the bar when it comes to industry standards. Several years ago, we shut the doors of our physical offices for good. Now we work remotely from all over the United States.
- Three to five years experience working in a public accounting firm or payroll processing company;
- Knowledge of state-specific filing requirements and tax notices;
- Previous experience with multistate tax work;
- Ability to communicate directly with clients and to field general payroll/HR questions; and
- Ability to prioritize when working with multiple clients.
Top location-specific jobs:
Atlanta – Transaction Advisory Supervisor/Director
Submerge yourself in a workplace with creative innovators striving for excellence. Aprio is the 50th-largest CPA firm in the nation and has been honored as the “Best of the Best” accounting and forensic accounting firm by INSIDE Public Accounting. It was recently named one of the Top Places to Work in Atlanta by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Over 25 languages are spoken at Aprio, and 25% of its staff is foreign-born. The firm specializes in eight different industries. As the Transaction Advisory Supervisor or Director, you’ll gain priceless experiences and skills that will help both you and the company grow. Aprio wants you to define its brand positioning, contribute to industry-leading innovation, and help its clients thrive.
- Big 4 or other consulting backgrounds
- Bachelor’s degree
- Approximately 10 years of related work experience
- Successful track record of building and growing a financial due diligence practice
- Knowledge of the private equity groups
- Demonstrates thorough abilities to identify and address client needs, including developing and sustaining meaningful client relationships and understand the client’s business
- Excellent written, oral, presentation skills
- Must be willing and able to travel when necessary (20% average)
Augusta, GA – Tax Manager
Lawhorn-Baird CPA Group
We are looking for a tax professional to join the Lawhorn T.E.A.M. in Augusta, GA. Is it hot and humid in Augusta? Count on it. But what will make it all worth it is the opportunity to provide leadership in a firm that’s a little out of the ordinary. Don’t like keying time? Great, we don’t either. Don’t like reviewing billing each month? Guess what, we don’t either and have been leaders in value-based billing since 2003.
We acquired the Augusta location in January 2017. The last of the partner group there is transitioning out and we are looking for leadership for this office, which has been in Augusta since 1927. Ninety-plus years goodwill.
This is what we need from you:
- At least seven years recent public accounting experience;
- MAcc in Taxation preferred (but not required if you’re just naturally awesome at tax);
- CPA license (of course);
- A genuine interest in developing those around you as well as the firm;
- You thrive on the bleeding edge of technology;
- You love change and you love challenges; and
- Your No. 1 goal in life is to never stop learning and to continually grow as a professional.
New York City – Senior Auditor
Respected top 100 CPA firm seeks a senior auditor for our New York, N.Y. location. We seek a self-motivated professional with a genuine desire to embrace this challenging career opportunity to work in a team-oriented environment while taking on a variety of assignments. Qualified individuals will have the opportunity to join our employee-friendly corporate culture, which also offers excellent career growth and mobility.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting or comparable subject;
- CPA license a plus;
- Minimum of five years of public accounting experience;
- A thorough understanding of GAAP and statutory accounting principles;
- Outstanding communication skills—both oral and written; and
- Knowledge of SEC and PCAOB auditing standards a plus.
New York City – Senior Consultant
Advaion provides accounting, technology, and management consulting services. When you work at Advaion, you are part of a team that is known for performance. We are an efficiency-driven group of professionals who focus on delivering outstanding results. We also recognize the importance of learning and development and offer our employees a variety of benefits to continue their growth and career development.
- Perform financial, operational, and compliance-related audits;
- Perform business process re-engineering and process improvement engagements;
- Assist in developing and preparing corporate risk assessments, audit plans, and compliance plans;
- Execute audit plans, prepare work papers, document findings, and communicate results;
- Prepare written recommendations to management to improve reporting processes, control environment, and business management; and
- Keep current with respect to changes in accounting pronouncements, auditing standards, SEC regulations, and PCAOB rules.
- Must have three-plus years of public accounting and/or external/internal audit experience;
- Must have SEC reporting, SOX, and financial audit experience;
- Must have excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- (Preferred) Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in accounting;
- (Preferred) CPA or CIA;
- (Preferred) Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications and accounting software systems; and
- (Preferred) Familiarity with audit software, automated work program applications, and SOX software.