From the mailbag:
I am considering becoming an experienced hire at PwC, however I have heard some strange things and can't seem to get a solid angle on them. I have heard that PwC (still) doesn't let you expense lunches when traveling. I've also heard that PwC is still on Windows XP with Office 2003, Lotus Notes email and using Lenovo ThinkPads. Can you please help me confirm or deny these rumors and add some color around them? Also, are there other things at PwC that I should be wary of? Is PwC the new KPMG?
Concerned Potential Recruit
To the best my knowledge, Concerned, I'll address these one at at time:
1. I have heard that PwC (still) doesn't let you expense lunches when traveling. - True. PwC does not allow you to expense lunches when traveling, although it's my understanding that a "business lunch" is reimbursable.
2. I've also heard that PwC is still on Windows XP with Office 2003 - Partially true. P. Dubs is on XP but is running Office 2007.
3. Lotus Notes email - True. There were some layoffs of LN developers way back in the fall of '09 but it's our understanding that they still run it.
4. Lenovo ThinkPads - True. You were maybe expecting iPads? Those are for bonuses only.
5. Are there other things at PwC that I should be wary of? - I'd start here.
6. Is PwC the new KPMG? - Um, no. Unless you're consider all the KPMG partners they've picked up makes it the "new KPMG."